Water Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
Dealing with a water leak can be an extremely stressful situation to discover but don't worry, SERVPRO of Huntington Beach South is here to help! Here are the top 5 tips/actions we recommend you to take before help arrives:
One of the first tips we can give you and your family to take into consideration till help arrives, is to ensure if the area is safe to be around and that all electrical hazards and potential slipping situations are handled the right way.
1. Shutting off the main water line for the house and cutting off the electricity and gas from the main source of the house as well helps prevent any more water flow or any electrical hazards from happening.
2. If area is safe to be around, you may remove excess water by mopping and blotting
3. Remove personal belongings like art, jewelry, clothing, etc. to a safe dry place
4. File a claim with your insurance
5. Contact your local SERVPRO to help asses the damages right away!
Have A Water Damage Emergency? Call (714) 962-9222
What To Do After Flooding
- Remove excess water by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removal of lamps and tabletop items.
- Remove and prop wet upholstery and cushions.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Turn air conditioning on for maximum drying in summer.
- Remove colored rugs from wet carpeting.
- Remove art objects to a safe, dry place.
- Gather loose items from floors.
What NOT To Do After Flooding
- Don't leave wet fabrics in place. Hang furs and leather goods.
- Don't leave books, magazines or other colored items on wet carpet or floors.
- Don't use your household vacuum to remove water.
- Don't use television or other household appliances.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet, and keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging.